Most people usually just go to the club that is closest to their home or work, and don't give anything else much consideration.
Choosing a martial arts class should be approached with some thought. Some questions and facts you might consider:
- Is it the kind of martial art you want? Does the instructor inspire you? Take a couple of trial classes to find out.
- Do you want to be part of a black belt factory? There are quite a few in Sydney's Inner West.
- Can you get there on time?
- Can you commit to the schedule to make a serious go of it?
- It takes at least 4.5 years to get a black belt, and each dan grade takes several years of additionl training after that. Our instructors have been training for many years to get where they are to be able to teach you.
- We don't give black belts to anyone who is under the age of 14. A kyokushin black belt requires a lot of personal commitment in time and sweat, and a mental maturity that isn't attained in most people under that age.
- We are part of a large international organisation with over 50 member countries. See our parent website for more information about that.
- We hold tournaments on a regular basis to practice what we learn. We also participate in external tournaments, and we also attend international events.
- We hold seminars and camps for group training and to bring in special guest instructors
We have classes for adults twice weekly (Mon and Thu), and children can train on three different days (Mon, Tue, Thu) and once they've attained a certain grade - usually after about a year, there is also a Friday option.
See the Timetable page for full information.